Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year, New Habits.


Watching my baby niece Caitlyn gurgle and coo as she tried to put everything within arms reach into her mouth, I came to sharp realization that a lot of who we are today started from when we were her age. I mean, look at her. She wakes up every morning to a mother who naturally wakes up at 6:30-7am who has already cleaned the kitchen, written emails, and checked the latest store fliers of the day for sales, and a father who leads everything in our little community almost by accident. She picked a darn good family to be born into. She gets kissed a million times a day, hugged a billion times a day, and her name has probably risen to the top word uttered in our house after "the."


If there's one advantage in life, it's got to be love. It made me remember those children at the Starfish Foster Home in Xi'an, China. With cleft lip and palettes, spina bifida, and a host of other medical conditions these children are also orphans. These children come to Starfish Foster Homes to have their physical ailment fixed via surgery, but it's my hunch that they leave with much more than the benefit of physical health. The question is, is it enough?

1 comment:

novice said...

Oh andy, my heart goes out to those kids (I don't often remember to think of them).