Saturday, February 14, 2009

Taken. A V-day Treat!

Okay okay, I know what you're all thinking. What the?! Liam Neeson trying to be Jack Bauer but better? You betcha. No Aslan this time, but in some ways, just as fierce. I can't tell you how happy I am that bf and I didn't go see a chick flick after our dinner at Chez Josephine last night (which, by the way, was sorely lacking. The last time I had sweet potatoes mashed to mush was when I was 3 months old and a squabbling baby).

Taken is one of the best movies I've seen all year, and tops even the Bourne Identity. Yes. I choose Liam Neeson over Matt Damon's abs. There's a trifecta for good action movies and it goes like this: plot + 3D characters + lotsa killing. Every once in a while, I do crave big explosions, gunfire, kung-fu kicking out of glass windows, and of course - a decent torture scene. But these alone won't make a good movie, they'll just make a decent trailer. What makes Taken so amazing and had me on the seat of my recliner movie chair was Liam Neeson's believability as an emotionally vulnerable father who just happens to be a ruthlessly trained killer. What a combination.

No comments: