Friday, February 20, 2009

sometimes i want to protest SIPA administration, too.

Live TV by Ustream

If NYU isn't affordable anymore, what makes you think Columbia University is?  I've been staring at this President and Provost Fund application all night now, trying to decide it would be worthwhile to take a stab at going through their herculean obstacle course just to get some funding for an event I'm trying to organize here on campus.  Earlier this week, I managed to get screwed over by the Dean's office on amounts they promised to fund a student group I'm a part of.  They failed to transfer anything into our account and it wasn't until we had an overdraft (how you can have an overdraft in the first place is a sore lack of controls) that we realized something was amiss.  I have a number of problems with this.  First, the culture here at SIPA is that if you're looking for any funding on student groups - you'd might as well be asking the emperor of Japan for a palace in the middle east.  The unspoken message is this:  we don't like students. 
You ask too much, all the time, and don't belong here.  Get out of my way and just let me do my important job here at Columbia University.  Deans at SIPA completely fail to remember that it is our tuition that pays for much of the operations - how do i know this?  Apparently the endowment is down 90%.  So where could the money come from for their investment projects such as Manhattanville campus and the brand new Apple Computers littered everywhere in the building? 

No comments: