Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Is there a "slap me" sign on my forehead?

I've been feeling like a living doormat lately. If I'm not getting frantic emails from students in my class telling me that my recitation time doesn't fit their preferences, I'm getting frantic emails from my colleague telling me that I'm late in giving him the portion of a paper that he was supposed to be responsible for. Oh, and then there's the "I'm sorry, it's just not my priority" lines being fed to me from committee members right after they say, "But since I made the commitment, I will follow through." Bullsh*t. I'm sick and tired of always being the person who "takes it for the team" and stays up past 4am doing work that no one else wanted to do because they were too busy feeding their own selfish ambitions. I'm sick and tired of having to filter my communications so I can be more diplomatic and make it a "teaching moment." Screw the teaching moment, these people are flakes! Flakes! Flakes! All of them! A combined head of dandruff, I say. It doesn't matter that you see how I've put my heart and soul into this project, and that you've agreed to help me. It doesn't matter that you're causing someone else to suffer for your own selfish ambitions and change of heart. It doesn't even matter if you're supposed to be my friend. It never matters. Because people of this world are ultimately selfish. They care not for the public good, if their private gain is small. Argggh.

No comments: