Friday, March 06, 2009

Capoiera

Sometimes the best things in life are the ones you stumble upon.  No, I'm not talking about the "stumble upon" web tool that introduces you to random websites, I'm talking about the gym!  Last night Amanda and I were determined to check out the Columbia University Muay Thai kick-boxing club.  Unfortunately, no one showed - except a mouse.  It was kind of creepy.  Half an hour later, we were taking informal lessons from the Ikaedo club member and I learned a valuable lesson: being relaxed isn't the same thing as being dead.  Sounds benign enough of a statement, but it's actually quite philosophical.  Begrudging the track, we craved a fun workout but exhausted our options after watchin the kayeking club circle around in the pool, veto a $40 purchase of squash rackets to play on the squash courts, and witness unusually long skinny male legs from the table tennis club.   Just as we were about to give up, we ran into a friend who is part of the Capoiera club.  They were friendly, unassuming, patient, and thoughtful to newcomers - it was so much fun learning something new! 

Now I understand why the word "arts" is included in "martial arts."  It's such a beautifully elongated type of game - so of course, I looked it up on youtube.  Ignoring my immense want for an ice-cold coke or pepsi, this is a pretty good video showing just how cool Capoiera is.  Does anyone else notice the similarities to break-dancing, or am I just being retarded? 

1 comment:

Joshua Sham said...

WOW! This is AWESOME! I think it'd be so cool if we were capoiera masters, look at those abs!